Library Proxy Settings
From Maties Ubuntu
The following procedure will allow you to use the free library proxy server for access to academic information in addition to the IT Dept proxy server.
The "pac" file instructs the internet browser to use the library internet proxy server for academic websites and use the campus proxy server for personal web traffic.
If you strongly feel that a certain website should be serviced by the library internet proxy server then contact the library management with your motivation.
- Step 1
- Using the Ubuntu menu bar, click on:
Applications => Internet => Firefox Web Browser
- With Firefox open, click on the Firefox menu bar as follows:
Edit => Preferences => Advanced => Network => Settings.
- Step 2
- Input the campus proxy pac file setting: http://www.sun.ac.za/sunproxy.pac as shown in the red highlighted box below.
- Click on the OK button to save the setting.
- If you regularly use ADSL, try http://web.ee.sun.ac.za/~pada/sunproxy.pac rather than the URL mentioned above.
- If your Firefox seems to become non-responsive for a few seconds when loading a webpage, try selecting "Use system proxy settings" and follow the steps on this site to add Gnome's proxy settings.