From Maties Ubuntu
Official Ubuntu community help.
It is possible to use Microsoft Office on Ubuntu using WINE.
Follow the steps below to do a MS Office installation.
- Step 1
Install WINE by clicking here. Do not accept the Microsoft font licence during installation. The fonts are not needed.
- Step 2
Copy the contents of the Microsoft Office CD/DVD to a folder on your computer.
- Step 3
Make the "setup.exe" or "msi" binary installer, in the above folder executable by right-clicking and selecting "Properties".
- Tip: Try all the "setup.exe" or "msi" binaries in each folder until the installation dialog starts.
- Step 4
Open the executable that you setup above, with WINE. Check the WINE page for instructions.
- Step 5
After the installation, setup WINE to use "riched2.0" as a native library.
- Please note
Some of the advanced features of Microsoft Office do not work. Backup your work first before editing.
If you have problems, try the following.
- Rename your wine folder as follows, by copying and pasting the line below into a terminal.
mv $HOME/.wine $HOME/.wine-bak
- Then start the installation again
- Remember to re-install any other applications with WINE again.
- WINE HQ Database
- See: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=31 for MS Office.