From Maties Ubuntu
Use ubuntu.sun.ac.za to access this website
The campus IT department does not officially support Ubuntu
Please refer to the Ubuntu campus community for support
The Ubuntu campus community only supports stable LTS releases
IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU ONLY UPGRADE IN AUGUST 2016, AFTER THE FIRST POINT RELEASE OF UBUNTU 16.04.
Before upgrading read the following:
- Normal Procedure
- Backup any special personal package archives (PPA) and then remove them because most of the errors during an upgrade are due to the use of custom PPA's. See PPA help links below.
- Make sure that you are using an official software repository channel.
- Make sure that the software for your current version of Ubuntu is fully up to date.
- Click on the gear icon on the top panel.
Then click on System Settings.
Then click on Software & Updates.
Then click on the Updates tab.
See screenshot below.
- Then type sudo do-release-upgrade or sudo do-release-upgrade -d in a terminal.
- Follow the instructions. You may have to open inetkey to help the upgrade get started.
- PPA Help
To add the Y-PPA manager to your software sources, type the following in a terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/y-ppa-manager sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install y-ppa-manager
Then type, PPA in the dash to launch the software. See screenshot below.
- See the note below from Jan at AIMS.
Behind a (compulsory) proxy, on trusty, you have to use sudo -E to preserve the proxy for apt-add-repository, apt-get update, install.
- Blog Tips - 14.04 to 16.04
- Blog Tips - 12.04 to 14.04